Thursday, June 12, 2008

Update

I had a doctors appointment yesterday and the most import news is that I have negotiated a June 30 date to have this contraption removed. I can't get it off soon enough.

I had some more xrays done and everything is still where it's supposed to be. That's where the good news ended. The doc said that he is very unhappy with the current range of motion. I should be able to bend it a lot further after the length of time that has passed. I expressed my concerns that trying to force it to bend farther might re-break the finger or cause some other injury. The response I got was a little disconcerting, "don't worry about that, if you break it, I'll fix it. Just bend it as far as you can." That didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

From there the doc proceeded to give me a demonstration and bent the finger until I could have sworn that it was just about to snap right off. As you may have guessed, it's extra swollen today in addition to being extra sore. As a matter of fact I don't think it's been this swollen since the day I broke it. But after a fistful of advil, it's feeling good enough now that I might be able to get some sleep tonight.

The doc also tried adjusting the screws on the fixetor which changes the spacing between the 2 bones in the joint. This was surprisingly unpleasant. Not overwhelmingly painful, but it certainly wasn't an experience I'd care to repeat. It's a sensation that's a little hard to describe, but take my word for it, no good. I also got some warning to expect some "fluid drainage" from the pin sites in the coming weeks. That I am also not looking forward to. But for now my goal is to be able to play tennis by next weekend.

No comments: