Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

I hope you all are enjoying your Memorial Day and taking the time to remember all the people who fought and died to keep us free. I always celebrate Memorial Day by watching a war movie or 2. I am currently watching Band of Brothers on the History Channel. If you haven't seen it yet, you should. It is outstanding. I usually watch Saving Private Ryan and may get around to that later today as I feel that is the best war movie I've seen.

Last night I watched To End All Wars, and was pretty disappointed. It is about P.O.W.s in Thailand during WW2 who are basically slave laborers building a railroad for the Japanese, kind of like The Bridge on the River Kwai. The difference, however, is that the point of this movie seemed to be that the best response to the Japanese cruelty and aggression during the war would have been forgiveness and turning the other cheek. I, of course, think this is ridiculous, and the best comment I read about this movie was, "if I remember history right, it was bombs, not hugs, that end Japan's cruelty."

Anyway, here is a quick list of what I consider to be the best and worst war movies for your holiday viewing:

Best:
Saving Private Ryan
Tora! Tora! Tora!
A Bridge Too Far
Patton
All Quiet On The Western Front
Gettysburg

Worst:
Pearl Harbor
Wind Talkers
The Thin Red Line
U-571

And with that, feel free to add whatever movies you thing should be on one or the other list.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about the Battle of Midway, The Longest Day, Das Boot, Run Silent Run Deep added to the good movie list.

Pat

Lyndsay said...

Band of Brothers is by far my favorite. I'm not really a war movie person, but I really enjoyed it. Saving Private Ryan was a little too much for me. I'm sure it's about as close as it gets to the real thing, but I just don't need to see that much blood. U-571 is another favorite of mine. Why is it on your worst list???

Anonymous said...

Where is 'The Big Red One' on your best of list? Any movie with Mark Hamill is a winner....including 'Corvette Summer'.

Unknown said...

The Longest Day was ok, but too long, and didn't really pull me in the way some of the other movies did. I may have seen the Battle of Midway but can't remember for sure. I haven't seen your two sub movies, but they can't be as good as Hunt For Red October. And come to think of it, MacArthur should have been on my best list.

U-571 I thought was unrealistic and somewhat contrived. And the acting I didn't think was very good (not even John Bon Jovi).

I still haven't seen The Big Red One, or Corvette Summer for that matter. I might be convinced to see the former, but the latter is going to be a tough sell. And for the record, I don't recall seeing Mark Hamill in anything I liked other than the Star Wars trilogy.

Anonymous said...

Mark Hamill was in that Wing Commander video game that I used to have. Biff from Back to the Future was in it too along with Malcom McDowell and Salah from Indiana Jones. Besides that all I know is Hamill did a lot of voice work for cartoons and such.

-Wayne

Anonymous said...

Does Braveheart count? That kicks butt, even if it is a little inaccurate....

-Wayne