Sunday, March 11, 2007

Various Updates

After seeing the History Channel special on the Battle of Thermopylae, reading some good reviews, particularly one acclaimed reviewer who described it as not simply awesome, but 'freakin awesome', I've convinced myself I want to see 300. I think I can get past the fact that the visual style is goofy looking, that the stunts are way over the top, and that the writer is the same guy who wrote the steaming pile of crap Sin City. So unless somebody talks me out of it quick, I'm going to watch 300.

I'm also very interested in seeing Zodiac. I'm always up for a good serial killer thriller, particularly if it's based on a true story. Throw in some good reviews and I'm in. If either of you readers have seen it, let me know.

Oh, and the one last movie on my list is Idiocracy, thanks to Shelvis. I had never heard of it before, and I'm probably going to hate it since Mike Judge was involved, but I am a fan of the Wilson brothers (although I prefer Owen to Luke), and I really cracked up hearing what the #1 rated tv show is in the year 2057. I know it's some low brow comedy, but I'll give it a try.

I think the Van Halen tour might be postponed since Eddie is now in rehab. I figured David Lee Roth would have had some inflamitory remarks, but this is all I could find from him:
"Ed is indisposed and working toward a better future here," Roth said. "If Ed ever dries up, this is going to be a stadium act, man…What's happening here with this [Hall of Fame event] is part and parcel of the same spiral that screwed up the tour."

After having listened to Sevendust - Alpha more thoroughly, I will give it 7 stars out of 10. There are some good solid tracks on there, particularly Aggression and Beg To Differ (which I think will turn out to be one of their classics), but some of the so-so songs bring the listenability down a bit. The Saliva album - Blood Stained Love Story - on the other hand, is almost a total waste. Other than 2 ok songs, the rest of the album is filled with crappy balads and a couple of songs that sound like Nickelback rip offs. Don't waste your time on that album.

The Seahawks have been a little busy, picking up a couple safeties, releasing Grant Wistrom, and re-signing Pork Chop. It looks like Ken Hamlin's days as a Seahawk are now over, which is too bad, I kind of liked him. And I'm not sure Deon Grant is an upgrade. Besides, I think he's kind of a dirty player and I think we overpaid for him. I'm also a little sad to see Grant Wistrom go because I thought he was a good team leader despite mediocre (or worse) stats.

No comments: