Monday, March 26, 2007

Hollywoodland

I watched Hollywoodland on Friday. If you're unfamiliar with the story, basically it's about a private investigator hired by George Reeves' (Superman from the 1950's tv show) mother to prove that his death was a murder, not a suicide. So right there you know it's going to be a happy movie. I'm too tired right now to write a good review, but let me just say that the film starts out kind of intriguing, but falls apart at the end. I didn't know anything about the real George Reeves' life other than he played Superman. I don't know if that would have helped or not. He is portrayed as being pretty pathetic by a bloated Ben Afflek with a big fake nose. If George Reeves was half as pitiful and half as bad an actor as Ben Afflek, then I truly feel sorry for the guy. Adrian Brody played the PI. I don't know what it is about him, but I kind of like Adrian Brody. Anyway, the untimely death of George Reeves didn't interest me too much, but getting a glimpse of what Hollywood was like in the 50's I enjoyed. Overall, an average movie at best. 5/10.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't care for the movie much either. I do enjoy watching Adrian Brody in anything he does. King Kong, Pianist, The Village, etc....

Unknown said...

I think if I'd been more familiar with George Reeves it might have been more interesting.