Thursday, December 28, 2006

Wasting taxpayer money

I saw this story on the front page of The Seattle Times today. Apparently the Sonics aren't the only sports franchises in the area begging for taxpayer handouts. Also on the list are:
$179 million: For NASCAR track in Kitsap County
$10 million: Toward a $50 million hockey arena in Kent
Up to $53 million: Toward an $80 million rodeo arena in Centralia
$18 million: For renovations to state's five minor-league ballparks

While all these seem like a huge waste of money to me, particularly when we can't find enough money to get 520 and the Alaskan Way Viaduct rebuilt, I am most offended by the NASCAR track idea. I grew up in Kitsap County and still have family there and can tell you right now that there are too many rednecks there as is. The last thing we need is to spend taxpayer money on something to attract more inbred hillbillies.

In general I am opposed to taxpayers having to finance sports stadiums. Sports franchises are private businesses and shouldn't get and special priveledges that other private businesses don't get. Every time a sports team starts begging for money, it gets under my skin. And it really bothers me that after footing the bill, I still have to pay exhorbitant ticket and concession prices. I couldn't care less if the Sonics left town and actually hope they don't build an arena in Renton and screw up the traffic even worse than it already is. I hope that no taxpayer money goes to any of these things, but particularly the NASCAR track. So the question now is: which of these do you guys think is the biggest waste of money. And just to make things more interesting, feel free to throw in any other state or local project that you think is a waste of money, like maybe the new Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

No comments: