Saturday, December 16, 2006

Stormy weather

Let me just say that that was one of the most impressive storms I've been in. After getting absolutely soaked while trying to get home through rain coming down sideways and streets that were turned into rivers, I am completely impressed. Walking down to the bus stop in the U-district, some of the streets had water so deep that it was coming up over the curb onto the sidewalk. Then on the bus ride across 520, there was standing water deep enough in places to make a fully loaded bus hydroplane. Luckily I made it home before the wind really kicked in. I heard the sound of trees cracking and God knows what bouncing off the side of the building all night long.

Thursday night when I finally did make it home, I walked in the door, set my bag down, turned on the tv, flipped over to the Seahawks game, and then walked over and turned on my computer. That is when the power went out. I had been home for less than a minute before it went out. Realizing that turning on my computer was what pushed it over the edge and knocked out the power, I feel like I owe everyone who lost power an apology. Anyway, I got up the next morning to go to work and when I went outside, I saw absolute carnage. Tree branches and blown down trees everywhere. Fences and street signs blown down. I even saw some chain link fences at the construcion site up the road blown down. How in the world can a chain link fence blow down? Luckily, I came over the top of the hill by 116th and saw the lights on at the Safeco tower and knew I wasn't going to get the day off. The closure of the 520 bridge made for a long commute however.

It is now Saturday, and since the power is still off at my place and the thermometer said it was 53ยบ inside, I decided I might as well go into work and get some overtime. It looks like most of the east side is still without power, but hopefully it will be back before too much longer. If you see any workers out repairing power lines, please give them some coffee so that they will have the energy to keep working.

No comments: