Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Time For The 60's To Die

With all of the nostalgia surrounding the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, I found as essay titled What a Long, Strange, Thoroughly Obnoxious Trip It's Been reflecting on the 60's and what the baby boomer generation has done for the world that paints things in a little different light. This really nails the pretentious, self aggrandizing decade far more eloquently than I ever could have and embodies how I feel about aging hippies constantly telling the world how great they are. But enough of my yakkin'. I'll just steal the one paragraph which I feel sums it up the best.

Such is the real legacy of the 60s, as filtered through the haze of bong
smoke still looked back on with fondness by many of those who were there: It
introduced the most narcissistic, self-congratulatory, self-indulgent generation
this country has ever seen. A group of people political satirist Christopher
Buckley jokingly calls "The Un-greatest Generation."

No comments: