Tuesday, September 15, 2009

New Personal Best!

I finally did it. I finally cracked the 400 mile barrier in my car. I've come close before, but today I gassed up after driving 408.5 miles on a tank. I have a 14 gallon tank and I was really pushing it when I filled up. I don't remember the exact amount but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 13.7 gallons. If I had something to prove I could have coaxed another 6 miles out of it. As it is, I came damn close to getting 30 miles a gallon for the tank. Not bad for a 10 year old car rated for 21 in town, 31 on the highway, 25 combined. I even found a picture of one the same color as mine! I still think it would get better mileage if it had a 6th gear optimized for freeway speeds though. I don't know why auto manufacturers don't do that. I have noticed a drop off in mileage and performance in the past year or so, I think the oil companies must be tinkering with the formulation, adding more ethanol to reduce emissions or some such nonsense. I'm too tired and impatient to find it right now. I just know that somehow the gub'ment is teaming up with the oil companies, the sheik, and the trilateral commission to make me pay more for gas. I don't have all of the details worked out yet, but maybe Shelvis can lend me a hand fleshing it out.

In other news, I just got around to using the fancy high carbon stainless steel knife that my mom got me for Christmas. She loves to by me stuff for the kitchen that I don't need and will probably never use. I already have a butcher's block full of knives and several more in the drawer, I don't know what made her think I needed a few more. But I digress, as I was using the afore mentioned knife, I wondered, what does high carbon stainless steel do for me? I'm sure something good or they wouldn't bother writing it on there. But then I thought, maybe companies do tout nonsensical stuff just because consumers will think the exact thing I did - that it must be good or they wouldn't brag about it. If they don't pull stunts like that, they probably should. A carbon fiber gas tank on that new car? I'm sold!

I think it must be time for me to get to bed. The telltale sign is that I'm swearing at inanimate objects. This time some maccaroni that fell on the floor. I know it did it on purpose. I got home from the gym tonight and thought it was too late to eat anything. After an hour elapsed I decided I was starving and that I needed something I could whip up quickly, hence the mac & cheese. Now I'm thinking I should probably just put it in the frig and not eat any tonight. But I have to have some while it's fresh and warm don't I? I'm too exhausted for such dilemmas.

No comments: