Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Saved By Zero

If you hate the new Toyota commercials that play during every commercial break in every NFL game, sometimes twice, then you're not alone. Apparently Cy Curnin, lead singer of the band The Fixx is with you. I have to think that the royalty checks somewhat dull the sting a bit though. Heck, if I was getting a cut every time one of those commercials played, I'd be more willing to sit through them. My iritation, however, stems from the fact that Toyota decided to let a cover band sing the commercial version of the song rather than using the original, as well as the fact that they just keep looping the same 5 second clip over and over again.

Incidentally, Cy also said that he finds it ironic that the song would be used in an advertisement since the song is about the freedom felt by not having any possessions or attachments to worry about. Truth be told, I had no idea what the song was about, but now that I do, I can appreciate the irony. And so I hope that the irony increases by Toyota being saved by zero - losing all of their business so they don't have anything else to worry about.

No comments: