Saturday, May 10, 2008

Quote of the Day

The most intense joy lies not in the having, but in the desire. The light that never fades, the mist that is eternal, is only yours when what you most desire is just out of reach. - C.S. Lewis in the movie Shadowlands

I don't know if this is something that C.S. Lewis actually said, or if it's just a line in the movie, but I've always thought it was really interesting. The first time I heard that, I scoffed at it, but the older I get and the more I think about it, the more I think that maybe there is some truth in that. Attaining what you desire typically only brings momentary joy, and in an attempt to continue to feel that joy, addictions are formed. Statistically, the people with the highest rates of depression are those that can have virtually whatever they desire. On the other end of the spectrum, the happiest people tend to be the most impoverished.

I'm not sure this necessarily means that acquiring what we desire in itself leads to depression, but rather, what we desire is not necessarily what will bring us joy. Perhaps it is that when we get what we desire, we realize that it does not bring us happiness, leaving us in despair. Conversely, the inability to attain what we desire may allow us to focus on other aspects of life that will ultimately lead to joy. So in this scenario, it is not desiring something unattainable that brings us joy, but rather giving up our desires.

I don't really know what to believe, as it varies from day to day. Regardless, I've always found this to be an intriguing quote. One that leads to a great deal of thought and introspection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I do like this quote and CS Lewis in general, I have another reason for commenting. It appears that I, too, am a grammar god.

However, technology is not my strong point, so I am unable to put the nifty little graphic on my blog.

Unknown said...

I won't claim to be an html god, but I'm at least proficient enough to cook up that little bit of code myself.