Thursday, May 29, 2008

Indiana Jones

I'll start out with the negatives. Yes, the movie starts out at Area 51. Yes there are aliens. Yes that was a huge wedge of cheese. It really went too far to the jokey, light hearted side and made me miss the seriousness of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The CG was overdone and unrealistic at times, particularly the scene with the swarms of ants. The Russians unloaded wheelbarrows full of machine gun ammo at Indy and company from 10 feet away and never hit a thing, A-Team style. The action scenes were unnecessarily long and drawn out.

I know that's a lot to overcome, but it still managed to be a fun movie. Indy is still an enthusiastic, albeit not very good, archaeologist that I can't help but love. Like the previous installments, it mixes just enough fact with folklore and story telling to spin a compelling yarn. I still love ancient civilizations, and when you throw in the Nazca lines and some great looking pyramids and ancient ruins it really sucks me in.

In my mind, this most closely compares with Temple of Doom. Shia LeBeouf is a little older and less annoying than Short Round, but the plot is a little thin. Not great, but still enjoyable if your expectations aren't too high.

No comments: