Saturday, May 16, 2009

Today's Random Thought

I think I'm too lazy to have an OCD. I have thoughts and concerns that bother me and could well develop into an OCD if not for the fact that I think about how much effort would be involved. Let me give you an example: I'm concerned about germs. I can't stand to have my hands dirty. The primary reason I don't like to work on my own car is that the thought of getting grease or oil on my hands makes me cringe. And the last time I did any work on my car I went through about 6 pair of latex gloves and still ended up having to spend a solid 5 minutes scrubbing afterward. When I'm in public, I make an effort to touch as few things as possible - railings, door knobs, etc - particularly when I'm going out to eat. I would dearly love to have my carpets spot free, not a speck of dust on my counters, the floors, toilet, sinks, and tub sparkling. But then I think about the effort involved in keeping them that way and decide I can live with a certain amount of filth. I don't have the energy to constantly be scrubbing, mopping, and vacuuming. Just the thought makes me want to take a nap.

I can't help thinking that were I a wealthier man, I could afford to hire a maid to be OCD for me. If I could just win the lottery, I would have the means to hire as large a staff as necessary to sterilize my home, and to go to the store for me to do the necessary shopping. The outside world will always be filthy, but my staff would eliminate the need to have to venture out.

I will say that today I did have the time and energy to sweep my deck. The entire thing was coated with a layer of pollen, leaving an insidious yellow hue on everything. I was alarmed by the dust clouds the formed with each stroke of the broom. But after a thorough sweeping, followed by spraying clorox on the railing, I couldn't help thinking that the screen door and sliding glass door were still filthy. Alas, those will have to wait for another day. Or my maid.

No comments: