Sunday, April 26, 2009

Power Outage

....sort of. Last night I had one of the weirdest power outages, no, make that definitely the weirdest that I've ever had. I was up past my bed time, about 1:30, and just about ready to call it a night when the power went out in about 3/4 of my condo. I thought some of the breakers must have been tripped, but I checked them all and everything was in order. I checked them 3 times to make sure I hadn't missed something. Even now I don't know what was going on. What I do know is that there was no power in my bedroom, bathroom, or hallway. All but one of the outlets in the living room lost power, and two of the 3 outlets in the kitchen lost power. And in the kitchen, the range lost power, but lucky for me the refrigerator didn't. Lights in both the kitchen and living room still had power. And perhaps the weirdest thing, the light switch in the kitchen, which still worked, is 2 inches from an outlet that didn't.

Well, since it was pretty late, I thought it was a perfect time to go to sleep, but it turned out that I couldn't stop pondering the mystery. I couldn't fall asleep because I couldn't stop wondering just what the hell was going on. So I did the natural thing and went in the living room to watch tv because the outlet it was plugged into still worked. I thought that it would distract me from wondering and I would be able to sleep in my recliner. Well, that worked for a while, but I woke up again and once again began pondering the mystery and wondering if the hot water heater had power for me to be able to have a warm shower in the morning. And yes, this is one of the main reasons I have insomnia, often times I just can't stop thinking about things. Consequently I need the tv on to be able to distract me. Well, luckily for me, shortly before 4 the power returned as mysteriously as it had left, and I went back to my room, turned on the tv and was asleep in minutes. This morning I had the irritation of setting all my clocks again, but there were no other side effects. I just wish I knew what the hell happened. I wonder if there are some breakers somewhere outside my unit that I don't know about. Perhaps I'll never know.

No comments: