Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Modest Proposal

I have been thinking about it, and I believe that Kenji Johjima is the key to the Mariners success so far this season. But he's been hurt most of the season you say. Exactly! Last year a few of the pitchers were complaining about Joh, saying that they don't like pitching to him. I thought they were mostly whiners, but so far this year the pitching has been amazing and I'm beginning to think he might be the reason.

The Mariners sure haven't been winning with their hitting. With Lopez hitting an anaemic .236, Gutierrez and Griffey at .196, and Beltre bringing up the rear of the starting line up with his .169 average, it's clear that they've been getting the job done with pitching and defense. Take Washburn for example. His turn around has been shocking. 3-0 with a 1.71 era - 2 more wins and he'll match his total from last year. I always knew that Johjima didn't play very good defense and doesn't call a great game. Bedard's turn around has been equally impressive and I'm convinced it's because Rob Johnson is behind the plate. But then again the M's are 5-2 with Johjima starting and 6-4 with Rob Johnson. So maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

No comments: