Sunday, April 12, 2009

More Cliches

Recently I mentioned a couple cliches that I've had enough of, but today I bring you one that deserves more use. On Friday morning's bus ride into work I witnessed a woman applying make up. This was a .... large woman, applying the make up in quantities and with such precision that the inherent bumps and jostles of the bus did not in any way deter her. This was when one of my favorite cliches came to mind - rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It is such a wonderfully descriptive phrase and is just amusing enough that it is perfect. Your assignment this week is to find an opportunity to work this into a conversation and report back.

Luckily for you, this is a buy one, get one free offer. I'm also reminded of one of my late grandpa's favorite sayings. At times we would be on our way out the door, everyone would be ready to go except my grandma. She would be putting on her make up and my grandpa would say, "we have to wait for your grandmother to put on her war paint before we can go." I always thought that was funny.

No comments: