Monday, August 06, 2007

Bum Stink

I don't know if there is any more offensive odor known to man as bum stink. It's a mixture of urine, alcohol, severe body odor, cigarettes, and occasionally a few other things thrown in to create a horrible funk. I caught a whiff of it from somebody on the way into work the other day and it turned my stomach. I just considered myself fortunate that I was not close enough to get a lethal dose. I don't know how these guys are unable to smell themselves. I think it may be one of those situations where you become accustomed to it and eventually don't smell it anymore, kind of like the people who work for Hershey's and can't smell chocolate anymore.

To this day I still remember the foulest smelling human being I have ever encountered. Many years ago I was on a bus that pulled into the bus tunnel and a guy got on the bus at the stop by the Paramount and sat right behind me. Even though I was just going to the next stop at Westlake Center, I was nearly unable to fight back the urge to vomit. It was that potent. And as I got off the bus, I looked back to see that he was wearing a WSU shirt. Now I do know some Cougs that bathe occasionally, but I think it's clear that personally hygiene is not a priority in the Palouse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never saw any bums in Pullman. Or cows walking across the street as some have implied over the years..... Although I did see cows walk across the street in Bangalore India. However cow tipping is not in vogue there for some inexplicable reason....

I digress. No bums in Pullman, but WSU grads are kind and giving so that probably explains why a bum in the same city as the UW would have a WSU t-shirt.

Anonymous said...

Urban intelligentsia sicken me. Hopefully the inevitable nuclear conflagration of the future will wipe all metro areas over 500,000 population off the Earth, and cleanse this planet of the urban hipsters who are now destroying it. Start with those half-caf-decaf-laff-daff-a-plaff-maff or w/e friggin cafes.