Wednesday, January 27, 2010

iPad


Obsessive Apple fanboys around the world today had a collective iGasm as unquestioned geek overlord Steve Jobs appeared publicly to announce the iPay - excuse me - iPad.  The long awaited and much hyped tablet PC has the appearance and listed functionality of a giant iPhone without the ability to call someone.  The new devise allows users to watch movies, play games, listen to music, read e-books, and browse the internet.  I have heard it touted as a competitor to the Amazon Kindle, however battery life and price are not on par. 

Honestly, I have a hard time imagining a market for tablet PCs.  They are less functional than laptops, and with prices starting at $499 for a 16 GB model, $599 for 32 GB, $699 for 64 GB along with an additional $130 for 3G wireless capability, it will cost you a lot more for that reduced functionality.  Ergonomically, I wouldn't want to be hunched over a tablet for any extended length of time, say, long enough to watch a movie.  And typing anything of length with a touch pad would be tedious.  So using the iPad for any productive functions would require an additional purchase of an external keyboard and stand. 

Many companies have dipped their toes in the waters of the tablet PC market over the years, including Apple with their failed Newton and none have caught on.  I just don't see a market for tablets when the modern cell phone does everything a tablet can do and can fit in your pocket.  I don't want to discount Apple too soon, they have a history of success with new products, but I don't see anything revolutionary or compelling about the iPad. 

2 comments:

Pat said...

SNL Version just in case you missed it.

iPAD

Ted Dietz said...

I'll ask your forgiveness in advance. I may end up getting one of these things. You have permission to kill me if you hear refer to my device more than once an hour.