Thursday, March 05, 2009

New Phone

I've got about a month until I can upgrade to a new phone and have started looking at my options. I will be glad to get rid of my out of date Razr. I like the slim, compact design, but compared to newer phones, the functionality is really limited. I would like a phone with a full keyboard since I've got a couple friends who love to text and composing a message with a standard keypad is a nightmare. I'm also looking for a phone that will allow me to access the internet and will still be compact enough to easily fit in my pocket. And since most of the pictures I take are with my phone since it's almost always with me and my camera isn't, I'd like a quality camera.

I'm currently with Verizon and plan on staying with them, and after some preliminary research into what's available, I'm leaning toward the Samsung Omnia. It's got a good camera, it's compact, and it's fast. It's also got some of the highest reviews, not just from professional reviewers but from users too. I looked at a few blackberries, and I wouldn't use all of the features, and most of them are bigger than I want. Plus I can't see myself turning into one of those tools who is constantly hunched over his blackberry, poking at it like a fascinated and confused monkey. I actually saw a super geek on my bus this morning who spent the entire ride swapping back and forth between 2 different blackberries. I suspect he was emailing himself to try to make himself appear important. But I digress, point is I don't think the blackberry is for me. I checked out the Google G1 which Cnet says is only available with T-Mobile, but I'm pretty sure is available through Verizon too. I like that it's expandable and that it's got a keyboard instead of just a touch screen, but like the blackberry is just a little too big and for some reason they designed it with the bottom angled out so that it makes it a little more cumbersome and harder to fit in my pocket. A friend has the AT&T Tilt, which I kind of like the design of, but I would have to switch to AT&T. Not to mention that it's a bit pricey.

I guess one of the things that I haven't looked at yet is battery life. The battery in my Razr is terrible and I really don't want another phone that I have to charge every day. So, all things considered so far, the Omnia looks like the phone for me, but if somebody has some information I've overlooked or another phone I haven't considered (there's no way in the world I'm jumping on the iphone bandwagon), I'd like to hear it.

**Note: damn blogger and their occasional weird formatting problems. Why must it be so difficult sometimes?**
**Further note: I conquered your formatting weirdness blogger. Bow down before your new master.**

No comments: