Thursday, October 02, 2008

Desperate Times

Call for desperate measures. And with jobs becoming more scarce, learning that panhandlers bring in $30-$40 an hour according to a recent study, I have been spending some time gently stroking my chin, head cocked to the side while looking skyward. That's right, I've been contemplating the value of my job. Sure the benefits are better at my current place, and I don't have to deal with the elements. On the other hand, I would have the opportunity to meet lots of new people as a panhandler. And this particular study took place in Spokane, not even a thriving metropolis. Imagine how much more I could take home here in Seattle. And I wouldn't be your average panhandler, I would gladly do the Icky Shuffle for the right amount of cash. Best of all, this career change wouldn't involve rewriting my resume or interviewing!

The same paper that brought us the panhandling tutorial also has the strangest assault in recent memory. A 19 year old Wenatchee High School student was arrested after smearing peanut butter on the forehead of a fellow student who is allergic to nuts. Yes I realize how potentially dangerous that is so don't think I'm making fun of people with allergies. And rest assured that the perpetrator is facing a year in prison and a $5000 fine.

No comments: