Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Good Job Everybody

According to a recent British poll, Americans are the most attractive people in the world.  Obviously the pollees have never seen the web site People of Walmart, regardless, I've been doing my part to pick up the slack.  Obviously I can't take all of the credit since the majority of the UK doesn't know who I am and the article mentions various actors and musicians hinting, actually overtly giving credit to Hollywood.  Still, some recognition would be nice. 

Needless to say at this point, I think that the majority of our British fans don't have an entirely accurate view of this country.  If they are basing their votes on celebrities with personal trainers who have had botox and plastic surgery their perspective is a bit skewed.  With the ongoing obesity epidemic gripping our nation I would put us a lot farther down the list. 

But that's not the only surprise on the list (top 20 listed below).  France cracking the top ten tells me that hygiene didn't factor in.  I'm also pretty surprised to see India rated so high.  I'm also surprised to see Sweden as the only Scandinavian representetive, although truth be told I'm not sure whether the Netherlands is considered part of Scandinavia or not.  I am by no means a world traveler so I may not have the best perspective either, but I have been to Denmark and can say that there were a lot of attractive women there.  The other big shock for me is the Czech Republic getting shut out.  A lot of top models are Czech and circumstantial evidence suggests that the nation is crawling with attractive people.  I have also been told that the Ukraine is a bachelor's paradise yet it was unrecognized as well.  And certainly China and Korea have their share of attractive women and belong right up there with Japan.  Brazil and Australia are appropriately recognized, however I would have thought Canada would have ranked higher.  If stereotypes are to be believed, then our northern brethren are more polite versions of Americans without the obesity epidemic.  But at least they made the top 10.  My final point of contention is Mexico.  Apart from a few standouts like Salma Hayek, I have not witnessed a high percentage of attractive Mexicans and would have dropped them from the top 20. 

1. America
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. Australia
5. Italy
6. Sweden
7. England
8. India
9. France
10. Canada
11. Mexico
12. Portugal
13. Wales
14. Russia
15. Japan
16. Ireland
17. Argentina
18. Netherlands
19. Scotland
20. Germany

No comments: