Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ultimate Fighting

Tonight I went over to a friend's house to watch UFC 124.  As many of you already know, I have virtually no interest in watching fighting of any kind, this was purely a rare social event for me.  And for those who have heard my rant about fighting before, get ready to hear it again.  As I watch any fight, whether boxing, mixed martial arts, or even wrestling, I'm constantly reminded that it is nothing more than modern day gladitorial combat.  Sure there are a few people who will admire the technique and athletic ability of the fighters, however for the vast majority of viewers it is pure, unadulterated blood lust.  The crowd absolutely goes nuts whenever someone gets hurt.  It's barbaric.  Roman leaders put on shows of gladiatorial combat, dangerous chariot races (NASCAR is the modern day equivalent), battle re-enactments, feeding Christians to lions, etc in order to placate the masses and distract them from the issues of the day.  It's a shame that society has not progressed any in 2,000 years.  Blood lust is alive and well.

Going off on a tangent, while I was watching Georges St. Pierre batter Josh Koscheck until his eye swelled shut, I couldn't help wondering if the original St. Pierre was the patron saint of tight pants.  I assume he was.

No comments: