Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Facebook

Well, after resisting nearly constant prodding from several people, my will was finally broken and I'm now part of the cult of Facebook. Note that I did not say I signed up for Facebook. One "friend" finally got tired of harassing me and decided to put an end to it all by just creating a profile for me and telling me about it later.

I had been reticent for several reasons, including but not limited to:
After being coerced to sign up for myspace and thinking that was a waste of time, I wasn't interested in any more social networking.
I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon and am more naturally repelled by cultish things (like the iPhone).
I don't really see the point. Anybody I want to talk to I will just email.
I'm antisocial and hate people.
With a lot of people, it seems more of a contest to see who has the most friends than anything else. I really couldn't care less about that.

It's too late to turn back at this point though, and maybe I'll be able to find out what some old friends that I haven't seen in years are up to now. Particularly my old college roommate Dr. Ridgeway. I have a couple of friends from high school - Jesse and Juanito - that I'd like to find out what they are doing now too. Not to mention that since Grande Pescadoes seems to be dead again after a brief Lazarus-like revival, I need to get my daily dose of the big fish somewhere. And I think the Chuckman might even share some his wisdom with the world via Facebook and I don't want to miss out on that. But until some good starts to come of it, I'm bored with it already.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Well, today my 73 year old mother got a Facebook account, so go figure. Actually, she called me and asked me to make one for her, so I can't really see her being too active on facebook.

Just beware of the quizzes, the Challenge Sudoku (which Pat WILL challenge you too), kidnapping and Mafia Wars (which I haven't figured out) and you'll be okay.

The Chuckman said...

Although you're correct, The Chuckman does share a generous amount of wisdom via Facebook, you seem to be missing the whole point. Stalking hot chicks. Seeing photos of smoking hot women who wouldn't even talk to you in highschool, but now are glad to be your "friend" just to pad their stats is genius.

In a related story, some brilliant 16 year old hacked two 18 year old female's accounts from his high school and held them ransom. The ransom was naked pictures of them. Granted, he was caught and punished. Still, the kid should be working for the military or on a Genius Grant as soon as he's released from juvi. ;)

Unknown said...

Sadly, high school was so long ago I can't even remember most of the girls I went to school with. The stalking sounds promising in principal, but so far has proven more difficult than I expected. It turns out that I can't find the cute girl on one of the other softball teams in my league because I don't know what her last name is. Who knew a little detail like that would be important?

As for the challenge sudoku, just because Pat challenges me doesn't mean I have to play. I know that since I was a math major I'm supposed to be enamored with sudoku, but honestly I'd much rather do a cross word puzzle.... or play an Xbox game. And somebody already sent me something regarding Mafia Wars that I really don't get at all.