Thursday, February 26, 2009

Snow Sneak Attack

I, for one, am not ashamed to admit that I was completely taken by surprise when I looked out the window this morning and was greeted by 2-3 inches of snow. I had absolutely no idea it was coming. Rather than take that excuse to stay home like I should have, I set out on my adventure in getting to work.

Knowing that there was no way in the world that my normal bus - the 265 would be running since they shut it down at the slightest hint of snow, I hopped in my car and drove down to the South Kirkland Park & Ride to catch the trusty 255. Since it doesn't have many hills on it's route it's pretty reliable in adverse weather. Or so I thought.

The roads really weren't too bad getting to the P&R, so I expected a minimal wait for the bus. It runs approximately every 10 minutes in the mornings, but after standing there freezing for more than half an hour, I began to wonder if it was time for plan B. That's about when somebody walked up to the P&R and announced that he had just gotten off a 255 going the other direction and that it was on a different snow route and was stopping on Lake Washington Blvd. I proceeded to make the 4 or 5 block journey there, and after about 20 minutes of no buses, headed back to my car.

Plan C involved driving to the Evergreen Point P&R - right next to the 520 bridge. I usually avoid that P&R because it has a very small lot and unless you get there early, you won't be able to find a parking space and you'll have to go somewhere else anyway. Luckily for me, the snow kept enough people away that there was still available parking, and shortly after walking over to the bus stop, along came a 545 which would get me to work.

Well, the bus was absolutely packed, and the driver said that they had to leave 20-30 people behind at the last stop because there wasn't room for them. Fortunately, 5 or 6 people got off the bus there so I was able to squeeze in and head toward downtown. I made it into the office about an hour and a half late. There is very little snow left in the city, although I was amused to see a snow covered car parked in front of my building with just enough snow brushed away to put a parking ticket under the wiper. I don't know why that amuses me, maybe because it seems unnecessarily cruel. I still haven't checked the forecast, but I'm really hoping I won't have any difficulty getting home tonight. Global warming my ass.

No comments: