Wednesday, January 07, 2009

New Years Resolutions

I've never been one to make new years resolutions, I don't really see the point. If you're going to make changes in your life, why wait for a special event? Or if you're making changes just because it's a tradition, you're doomed to failure. That being said, I've been needing to make some changes in my life for a couple months and it's about time I made them. Since the timing coincides with new years, I'm going to go ahead and call them resolutions.

1. Eat more bacon. It's delicious, and I didn't eat that much in 2008. Plus I was heavily influenced by the twelve days of bacon. A new bacon recipe every day for 12 days. The bacon wrapped chestnuts really sounded tasty, but it's the bacon wrapped cheese log that really makes me drool.

2. Lose weight. Over the past 6 months, I've become a bloated, hideous mess. I've pretty much stopped exercising and have been eating poorly, resulting in an extra 20 pounds. I've hit the point where I can't look in the mirror without feeling shame and disgust. This has gone on long enough and it's time to do something about it. Some might say that #1 might conflict with #2, but those people are wrong. Plus, volleyball season starts tomorrow and to quote Pink Floyd, I'm an earth bound misfit. I've got about a 3" vertical leap and won't be doing any spiking.

3. Find a better job. This one may prove to be the most difficult the way the economy is going, but as of today, there's about a 50/50 chance that I walk out Safeco for the last time on Friday. Long story there that I don't want to tell here, but I may be unemployed come Monday and really ramping up the job search.

4. Be more charitable. For most of my life I haven't had a lot of disposable income and have been pretty tight fisted and I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I need to make more of a difference in the world, if not financially, then by giving my time volunteering.

5. Be less judgemental. Lately I've been realizing that not only have I developed a pretty short temper, but I've been pretty intolerant of some groups in particular. I despise red necks. I hate the giant trucks, country music, boots, cowboy or mesh hats, camouflage, chewing tobacco, etc. If you counted up the number of times I've used the words hick, hillbilly, or inbred in the last couple months, particularly the days in Vegas, I'm sure we'd both be shocked. And so I'm going to make an effort to ease up and try harder to accept those with different beliefs and life styles.

6. Make a fist. I may never be able to do this again according to my surgeon, so this one may just be a dream, but I've got to keep trying.

That's enough things to focus on at one time. I got started on #2 yesterday, spending 2 days in a row in the gym. 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer today burning off 650 calories and sweating a bucket. If I can keep it up and cut down on the amount of crap I eat for a couple months I'll be looking pretty good. Any assistance on the rest of these would be appreciated.

5 comments:

Ibe Family said...

Good job on two full days in the gym! I would hold off on number one for about 3 months. :-) Happy New Year Scott!

Ibe Family said...

BTW ... Easy on the red neck comment ... you may be talking about some of my kin. LOL!

Anonymous said...

#5 - You hate the Dallas Cowboys too. Now I understand why you have a passionate hatred of the Boston Red Sox, but maybe you should let go a little of the Cowboys thing.......

Anonymous said...

See your UM about smoking more cigars too

Unknown said...

The Cowboys have it coming. Any team that goes out of their way to find trouble makers - my first prediction of 09 is that Michael Vick will be a Cowboy by opening day - deserves any and all verbal abuse.