Sunday, January 11, 2009

Floods

With all the obsession over local flooding, I think it's an appropriate time to take a step back and remember the 21 people who died during a past flood that occurred on this date. Today is the 90th anniversary of the Great Molasses Flood of Boston. Yes, that's exactly what it sounds like. A vat of molasses burst, sending a 50 foot wall of molasses down Commercial Street at 35 mph, destroying houses and elevated railroad tracks along the way and leaving a sticky mess in it's wake. The article doesn't mention how many rains it took to restore the neighborhood to it's usual state, but my guess is a lot. So for everyone caught in a flood now, be thankful that it's only water.

3 comments:

The Chuckman said...

Dude, since you can't make a fist and you’re thinking the new discipline may revolve around throwing things and running away; I realize the name of the martial art is Craw Fu, but could the action when actively utilizing Craw Fu be hence to forth known as a Craw Fu’d Fight? :D It would be especially helpful to my cause if the ‘things’ you threw were food items. I demand a poll be posted on your blog immediately to measure public interest in this new terms a’coinment. ;)

Unknown said...

Chuckles, that is the worst idea you've ever had. I've never been more disappointed in you. How dare you insult the art of champions and geniuses (or is it geniui)? You're lucky I don't ban you for that

Anonymous said...

Why don't you ever see a flood of beer drowning people?........

Is it because the beer guys wouldn't let it spill?

I think I'm on to something here.