Sunday, December 04, 2011

Breakfast Salad

I've been considering this for a while now, and with various lunch foods making in roads to the breakfast menu, I've got one more that I think should make the transition.  The breakfast salad.  Burritos and sandwiches have become mainstays of the breakfast menu despite having no business being eaten before noon, so why not the salad too?  The way I see it, there will be a base of lettuce, topped by scrambled eggs, a little bacon or sausage, croutons (since they are essentially toast), and topped with a little gravy.  I'm a little iffy on using gravy instead of salad dressing, but if gravy is acceptable for other breakfast foods (grits 'n gravy, biscuits 'n gravy, on top of chicken fried steak), then it seems a more logical choice than ranch dressing or raspberry vinaigrette. 

In order to provide full disclosure, I'll admit that I have yet to try such a concoction, it's only in the theoretical phase of development at this point.  One day soon, however, I expect to see it on restaurant menus as a healthier breakfast alternative to a breakfast burrito.

No comments: