Thursday, January 27, 2011

Actors and Politicians

Over the years several actors have made the transition to political careers.  Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, Sonny Bono to name a few.  Some have been more successful than others.  But I got to thinking today, we've got another election coming up in 2012, which actor would you like to see toss his or her hat into the ring and start a presidential campaign?  The only rules to this discussion are that the actor has to be eligible to be elected, which means even though Salma Hayek is very pretty, you can't vote for her because she wasn't born in the United States.  And even though Haley Joel Osment might have some interesting ideas about capital gains taxes and immigration, you can't vote for him because he's underage.  Oh, and you can't nominate any Baldwins, particularly Alec.  They are all half (or more) insane, not to mention annoying.  I'll start things off by suggesting Harrison Ford since he did a respectable job of playing the president in Air Force One. 

4 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I would have to say Dennis Haysbert. He did a fabulous job being the President on 24 and I LOVED him in The Unit. Stinking Fox canceled that show too! I hate Fox! Anyways he's handsome, calm and his voice is very assuring.

Pat said...

Mr. Eastwood

The Chuckman said...

John Malkovich. He alwasy seems articulate and in control.

Tom Hanks. Super popular and "nice guy" enough I think he'd draw a lot of support and trust.

Unknown said...

Even though he has evolved into a very respectable actor, I can't look at Dennis Haysbert without thinking of him as Pedro Cerrano from Major League. "Hats for bats, keep bats warm." I could see him as a president though.

Clint Eastwood has to be in his 90s by now. I don't think he could live through an entire term.

John Malkovich creeps me out a little bit. Tom Hanks I could see.

I tend to lean more toward the older, more respected actors like Morgan Freeman, James Earl Jones, Robert Duvall, or maybe even Jack Nicholson. I'd like to see him yell, "you can't handle the truth" at foreign dignitaries at a state dinner.