Saturday, August 14, 2010

Early Retirement

I saw the surprising news today that San Francisco 49ers running back Glen Coffee unexpectedly retired today after just one year in the NFL.  As an Alabama fan I always liked Coffee and hoped that the Seahawks would draft him, but it turns out it's a good thing they didn't.  Coffee didn't have any injury problems, the article I read stated that he told the team that his heart simply wasn't in football - that dating back to college he didn't really enjoy playing.  I guess I could see that but he's still walking out on more money than he'll ever make doing anything else.  I doubt he made enough to retire after just on season.

With 2008 first round pick Kentwan Palmer also missing from camp, there's speculation that it's an issue with coach Mike Singletary - that players are dissatisfied with him - but that's a little hard for me to believe.  I've also seen speculation that Coffee may be heading into the ministry.  I don't know anything about his personal life so I have no idea how plausible this theory is.  Whatever the reason, I'm very surprised.

2 comments:

The Chuckman said...

I'm sure I'm in the minority with my reasoning here, but as the proud owner of the rookie Dixon in my dynasty league, Frank Gore's overused carcass's handcuff, I'm okay with it. :)

It reminds me of Okoye, who quit in his absolute prime and without injury; though he was the starter at the time. In his case he DID make enough money to retire forever, but only because he was from, and moved back to, Nigeria - where that kind of money basically made him royalty as I understand it. :)

Unknown said...

I miss Okoye, that guy was an absolute beast. I never liked the Chiefs but I loved that guy. The only time I saw or heard anything about him after his retirement was in a celebrity boxing match, against the Frig if I remember right. Man that was a sad fight, neither looked like they had ever been in a fight before.