Sunday, May 02, 2010

The Great De-cluttering Has Begun

It's never until you have to move that you realize just how much useless junk you have buried way in the back of the closets and storage spaces over the years.  A full week after moving I'm still overwhelmed by the sheer volume of shtuff (that was almost a bad word, I caught myself just in time) is staggering.  My current plan is to unpack one box a day until I have something resembling a living space rather than a warehouse with paths to the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.  I am currently working on unpacking a box of delicious Keebler buttery garlic club crackers.  While they are unquestionably delicious, they don't really help with the primary goal of reduction of clutter.  On the other hand they have the distinction of being something I can unpack while typing.  I'll have to take care of a bigger box later. 

One, or I guess technically multiple items, that I need assistance with, however, are the 2 old PCs that I don't use anymore along with the boxes of peripherals that go along with them.  I've been meaning to take them down to a PC Recycle place for at least 2 years now but want to wipe the hard drives before handing them over to avoid any personal information falling into the hands of someone who is not me.  I found a freeware program called HDD Erase created by the good folks at UCSD, but the problem I am having is that I have to put it on a bootable disk or run it from DOS.  I can't quite figure out how to create a boot disk in Vista (OS on this computer) or how to run DOS, it doesn't work with just a command prompt within Windows, on my old XP machines.  Maybe I need to create the boot disk from one of the old XP machines.  Either way this is turning out to be more trouble than I want to deal with. 

Another issue I'm having is that I have approximately 2 miles of coax cable, USB cables, phone cables, RCA cables, etc that I can't bring myself to throw away because they still work.  Those things don't break, I just don't need them.  Does anyone know if any of the PC Recycle type places take cables or if there is anywhere I can donate them rather than just throw them away?  Or does anyone find themselves in need of some extra cables?  Or does anyone need an HP Deskjet printer that still works and comes with some extra ink cartridges but unfortunately uses an IEEE 1284 cable that I just can't plug it in to the new PC. 

The other thing I have a huge surplus of is bobble head dolls, lunchboxes, nesting dolls, trains, hydros, and various other Mariners memorabilia collected during my 8 year tenure as a Mariner employee.  Some of it is still in the original packaging, some isn't.  I've thought about putting it on eBay, but right now it seems like more trouble than it's worth, particularly since I doubt there is any market for some of it - is anybody really going to pay anything for a Richie Sexson or Kenji Johjima bobble head at this point?  I suppose I could take it down to one of those consignment shops but last I checked they take a huge percentage of any sales so I'm not too interested in doing that. 

Long story short, if anyone has any ideas on how to easily rid myself of some superfluous clutter, please let me know.  I can't live like this anymore. 

1 comment:

Conveyinginfos News said...
This comment has been removed by the author.