Thursday, April 22, 2010

2010 NFL Draft

I guess if I'm going to get my famous draft predictions in before the draft I better get on it.  So here we go.  The concensus seems to be that Sam Bradford will be drafted first overall by the Rams, but I'm the dissenting opinion.  For a team with a horrible offensive line to commit the kind of money that a #1 QB will demand on a fragile guy doesn't make any sense to me.  But then again if the Rams did things that made sense they probably wouldn't have the top pick.  Still, I think they will instead draft Ndamukong Suh.  The Seahawks will be very tempted to pick him but will pass and Bradford will drop to the Browns at #7. 

The Lions will resist the temptation to draft a WR second overall and will instead surprise no one by drafting Gerald McCoy.

I think the Seahawks will be trying very hard to trade down, and if Eric Berry is still available they might be able to work a deal with some team.  The Eagles might pull the trigger on that trade but I don't know if the Seahawks are willing to drop all the way down to #24.  The Cowboys are another option but again, that's a big drop for the Seahawks and I'm not sure either the Eagles or Cowboys are willing to pony up enough compenstion to trigger a deal.  Since the first round is loaded with offensive tackles and that is the Seahawks biggest need, they can probably get the same quality player at #14 that they could at #6 so trading down makes a lot of sense, particularly if they can pick up an extra 2nd round pick since there are a lot of guys I like in the 2nd.  Assuming they are unable to work out a deal though, I would love to see them draft Okung but I don't think he will be available - I think the Redskins will snag him a couple picks earlier - I think they will draft Eric Berry.  This is a really difficult pick to project since there will be several players available here that they could really use.

Ideally, the Seahawks would draft Okung at #6 and Taylor Mays at #14, but I think it's going to play out the other way with them grabbing their safety first and it's hard to say which OT will still be available here.  It would be nice if Brian Bulaga dropped this far, but I'm not sure he will.  Bruce Campbell would be fun just so we could say, "hail to the king baby" and throw out other classic Bruce Campbell lines throughout the length of his career but I don't think the Seahawks would take him that high.  Anthony Davis would make sense here too.  Flipping a coin on who will be available between Bulaga and Davis, I'm going to go with Davis. 

The big surprise in the draft will once again be brought to us courtesy of Al Davis.  It's no secret that the Raiders love speed, and I think CJ Spiller had the fastest 40 time in the combine.  Despite the fact that they don't need a running back, they will draft Spiller. 

The second big surprise will be the Steelers drafting Jimmy Clausen at #18.  Clausen is rated too high on most mock drafts, and with Big Ben burning his bridges in Pittsburgh, the Steelers will seize the opportunity to pick up Clausen.  Pittsburgh has proven that they are not averse to signing douchebags, so it's a perfect fit. 

The second round should be loaded with gems this year and hopefully the Seahawks will be able to trade down in the first and pick up another 2nd or two.  I would love to see Toby Gerhart drop into the Seahawks lap but am afraid he won't make it that far.  Same goes for Vladimir Ducasse and Brian Price.  Brandon Lafell and Mardy Gilyard would fit nicely on the roster as would Everson Griffen.  I'm going to go with my heart on this one and say that they will get Gerhart.

My last prediction is that the Seahawks will draft Sean Canfield in the 7th round.

Now for my crazy theoritcal draft:
The Eagles trade up to #6 and send their #24 and their 2nd round pick (#5) to the Seahawks.  The Seahawks then take Anthony Davis and Taylor Mays in the first round, and with their 2 second round picks draft Toby Gerhart and Brian Price.  I would be very happy with this. 

Other notes:  I'm pretty interested to see where RB's Montario Hardesty and Stafon Johnson end up going.  I would love to see either of them in a Seahawks uniform. 

Tim Tebow is all over the place on mock draft boards but I think the Raiders will grab him in the second round. 

I really like Javier Arenas and hope that he drops down to the 3rd round for the Seahawks.  Same goes for Akwasi Owusu-Ansah.  Arenas is a better return man but I don't think will ever be better than a nickel corner.  Owusu-Ansah is also a pretty good returner but is taller and has more potential as a CB. 

The two QB's I'm keeping my eye on are Dan LeFevour and Zac Robinson.  Both need some work but have a lot of potential.

No comments: