Sunday, June 20, 2010

Public Service Announcement

I saw a car on the shoulder of the freeway today with a flat donut.  It made me laugh a little.  So for those of you who don't already know, that spare tire in your trunk is only meant to be driven a limited number of miles.  And I haven't looked at mine in a while but I'm pretty sure it also says not to go over 45 mph too.  So unless you want to get stranded somewhere and look like an idiot, if you get a flat tire, get to a service station somewhere and get it repaired as soon as possible and stay off the freeway. 

2 comments:

Pat said...

Well the last time I had to use the spare because my main tire blew out, I found out the spare was flat. So I had to pump the spare up before I put it on. Luckily I have a bump in the car so that wasn't a problem, but how many people actually carry a pump in their car?

Unknown said...

Well, I carry a pump in my trunk since I never know when a tire, football, basketball, etc will need more air.

I don't think that is what happened with the guy I saw though. Had you not had the pump, would you have put the flat spare on your car and driven it onto the freeway? That's what the guy I saw did. Not to mention that he was on the left shoulder so he was driving over the speed limit on the spare, passing people. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says they are not meant to be driven long distances (it doesn't specify a mileage limit) and they have a maximum speed rating of 50 mph, which I'm sure this guy was above since he was in the left lane on the freeway.