Thursday, January 24, 2013

Free Will?

Lately I've spent some time considering the nature of existence. Current scientific knowledge states that the universe is controlled by the laws of physics and mathematics. That the interactions of everything from sub atomic particles all the way up to the biggest galaxies are governed by these laws and everything in their past can be charted, and the future actions can be predicted. The next logical question for me at this point is: does this also apply to human existence?  Would humanity not also be subject to math and physics?  Is free will an illusion? Are we simply automatons that have been wound up and set loose on our appointed path, predetermined for us by mathematical probability?  I'm sure I'm not the first person to consider this and I won't be the last.  I haven't done any research on the topic, partly because I want to think about it myself before potentially being influenced by the opinions of others, but mostly because I'm lazy.  But maybe I'm lazy because that's what the universe has predestined for me.  Regardless, it's interesting to consider.

No comments: