Saturday, February 04, 2012

On the eve of the Superbowl, I've realized that I truly dislike both teams. Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are completely unlikeable, not to mention that thought of the most loathsome people in the world - Bostonians - celebrating makes my stomach turn. I'm not sure why I dislike the Giants, I guess because Eli Manning comes across as a bit smug and I have left over hatred from when Bill Parcells was coach.  Maybe I hate all coaches named Bill.  Come to think of it, I didn't care much for Bill Walsh either.  Where was I?  Oh yes, unfortunately both teams can't lose, so the real losers end up being America and football fans worldwide.  And so it is that I find myself think of things other than the big game.  Specifically I find myself thinking of technology - what the next step in football technology should be.

Visors have become pretty commonplace in both the NFL and college.  Maybe high school too, I don't know.

I think these visors should be combined with a heads up display to allow coaches or the quarterback to call audibles and have the play pop up on all player's visors.  No huddle offenses and two minute drills would be easier to run and more exciting.  Noise would be less of a problem, so some teams may have a problem with losing home field advantage, but this will be implemented eventually, so why fight it?  The technology exists now, so I'm looking forward to some team making this happen.  Paul Allen is a tech guy, he should outfit the Seahawks with this next season.

1 comment:

wayne said...

I like the idea. There would be a lot less mistakes made with recievers running wrong routes and what not, and it wouldn't be as hard to make the jump to NFL level playbooks....you wouldn't really have to learn your playbook anymore. I think you just figured out how to dumb up the players even more.