Friday, October 07, 2011

Rent Movies While They Are Still In Theaters

Would you like to be able to rent movies and watch them in the comfort of your own home while they are still in theaters?  Soon you will be able to if you are a Comcast customer.  Sounds great, doesn't it?  Only until you see the $60 price tag.  After I stopped laughing, I realized that for large families this might be a financially viable option, but for most people the concept is ridiculous. 

The theater experience isn't very enjoyable for me since I've officially become a grumpy old man.  Frequently the picture quality isn't as good as on my TV at home, and dealing with the hassle of other people talking and making noise during the movie, or pulling out their phone and sending text messages (they may as well be turning on a flashlight) is irritating.  So for the right price I'd like to watch movies at home, however that amount is significantly less than the asking price.  I'm not sure I'd pay $10.  Then again I'm surprised that there are people that fork over the $5-$7 currently being charged for On Demand movies, yet the price remains so some people must be paying it.  I'm interested to see how long this experiment lasts. 


No comments: