Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Goodbye Verizon?

For months now I've been waiting to upgrade my phone.  I've been eligible for an upgrade since 12/31/10 but have been waiting for a dual core LTE phone.  Two such phones were announced at the Consumer Electronics Show in JANUARY, and to date neither phone is available, and what's worse, neither phone even has a release date announced.  Both the Samsung Galaxy S II and the Motorola Droid Bionic were originally scheduled for release in April, however for reasons that were never made public, both phones have been plagued by repeated delays.  Now here we are at the end of July and Motorola has announced the the Bionic will be available "summer 2011" while Samsung has narrowed their date down to "August".  There are rumors that the Bionic will be available 8/4, but there are also rumors that it won't be out until sometime in September.  Based on it's track record, a delay until September seems more likely.  There are rumors that the date for the Galaxy S II is 8/12, but there's nothing substantial to back that up. 

Meanwhile, over at Sprint, the HTC Evo 3D is available now, and the Motorola Photon will be available 7/31 and has very similar specs to the Bionic.  Is it time to switch carriers and give up on Verizon.  Honestly, I think that if 8/4 comes and goes and the Bionic is still unavailable, then I will walk into the Sprint store on 8/5 and give them my business.  The Galaxy S II has been available in other countries for 4 months, yet we can't even get a firm release date in the US.  Frankly, I'm tired of waiting, and by the time either of these phones actually hits the market, something better will be available.  Sure, Verizon has the fastest network, but what good is that if I have to access it on an inferior phone?  Every day it's looking more and more like my days as a Verizon customer are numbered.

2 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Reading this email made me exhausted. Michael and I still have regular old brick phones with just *gasp* calling on them. We can text, but it's not on our plan so it costs more. I seriously haven't never accessed the internet from a phone before. I'm so behind. We have T-Mobile and I HATE them with a burning passion. Unfortunately Michael's plan doesn't finish until Nov of this year and mine not until Oct of 2012! Ugh!!! When that happens we are both definitely getting some form of a smart phone and switching networks...Sprint, AT&T or Verizon who knows...just NOT T-Mobile! When that time comes I'm just going to email you though so you can just tell me what phone to buy and I can skip all the research...sound good?

Unknown said...

If all you want to do is make calls, then there's no point spending money on a phone that does more. Personally I love having a smartphone that I can take pictures and video with, that I can access email and internet on, etc. On the other end of the spectrum I have a cousin who is a troglodyte and doesn't own a cell phone at all. it's all about personal preference.

That being said, AT&T traditionally comes in dead last in customer satisfaction surveys every year. So as far as I'm concerned, I'd never switch to them. And since they are in the process of buying T-Mobile, I wouldn't switch to them either. That pretty much leaves sticking with Verizon or switching to Sprint as the only options for me. Sprint is now the only company that offers an unlimited data plan (as opposed to a tiered plan like Verizon just switched to) which is a big selling point if you have or plan on getting a smart phone. Verizon has the best coverage and the fastest network, but always seems to have inferior phones. That's what's pushing me toward Sprint right now.

Long story short, I'd be happy to research phones for you when the time comes. And maybe the Nexus Prime will be out by the time Michael is ready to upgrade. It looks pretty fantastic. Or the Motorola Dinara with it's 13 megapixel camera.